If only Macy had known sooner about Jonas, her grandmother would have taken her cue and made an exit. Of course, it wouldn't have quite turned out that way.
Gram was getting her own apartment in the building. Naturally, Macy didn't want to laugh or cry about this matter. After all, it was Gram who made the call to the old priest who got a job for Jake at the all-boys Catholic school.
"But..but we're not even Catholic?" Macy croaked at the idea. Neither was Jake, but at this point and time he said he was OK, being the librarian at a prep school for boys going into the priesthood. Naturally, this gave Macy nightmares that awoke her in the night that Jake might become a priest.
"Look, Jerry and I got way back," her gram explained over tea and shortbread cookies. "We were in high school together. He was like a big brother to me."
Macy bit into another cookie while Gram went on to the fact, that Stevie was a bit much to live with. "I wish I knew if she was a boy or a girl, and I can't ask, you know. I'm not very good at keeping the pronouns straight. And besides, I know I'm crowding them." Gram was a bit testy. "Jonas can live with her."
"Wait," Macy squinted. "That's L's apartment?"
"So, she seems very happy with Emmie. I think they belonged together."
"Oh, Gram!" but Macy would let it go. She wanted Jake here, like yesterday. She was happy, but a little bitter. It felt like Gram was in control of everything. How did the woman do it?
"I like being alone, you know." Gram practically winked at her.
"Oh, really?" Macy didn't believe her. Still, it felt as if it were miles to go before Jake could settle into the apartment. At least, this would really be her apartment now with Jake. Nobody from the past was tied to her living space like that old high school friend of hers, Wade Woo (the apartment was now under her name). It was great having his fiancée as a co-worker.

No comments:
Post a Comment